Thursday, May 01, 2008

We're Here!

Just a quick note to tell you all we are here and doing well. I have some pics, but will wait to post then probably tomorrow night. We had a slight adventure getting to our hotel when we arrived since the guide who was suppossed to meet us at the airport wasn't there. Yep, no guide. But, being the world travellers that we are, we did not panic. We just handled it. We changed money at the airport, gave the help desk our hotel name and asked them to write it in Chinese, and got in a taxi. At the hotel, we had a message to call our guide. He actually is great and it was so not his fault. He had paperwork showing us arriving on a different flight then we did, and he had been at the airport waiting on us hours earlier...

Anyway, we basically CRASHED! Hannah did FABULOUS on the plane, but didn't sleep much. She fell completely apart 10 minutes before we landed and by 5 minutes before we landed, she was sound asleep. poor baby! She slept 10 straight hours when we got to our hotel..only problem is that it was from 4 p.m. - 2 a.m. ! Well, yes, she's been up since 2 a.m. Actually now at 2p.m she has just fallen asleep for a nap. I plan to wake her in a couple hours with the bribe to hit the swimming pool so maybe she can then make it until tonight and be on the right time zone.

Today, we toured the summer palace. It was nice but WAY too crowded for my tastes. We did get to ride on a dragon boat on the lake and that was fun. My four year old completely enjoyed that experience, especially since her favorite Kai-Lan episode is the dragon boat races one.
For those of you who have seen the show, they say 'NiHao..say Nihao"..and then the character encourages everyone with "SUPER". Hannah's been telling everyone we see "Nihao..SUPER!"

Well, I 'm off to take a quick nap too. I'll post more tomorrow evening.
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're so glad you made it safely, thanks for keeping everyone posted. We're praying for you and your adventure and we can't wait to meet Sadie.

Love,
Melany, Michael and Kaiser

Tricia said...

DeEtte,
I'm so glad that you guys made it okay. I was praying for your trip over. That Hannah is such a trouper! Give her a big hug from me. I hate that the information was mixed up for your guide. I love that you just took control and did it yourself!

This is for Hannah since I told her I would write her:

Hannah, How was the big plane ride? Did you have a good time? Did you save your ring pop for the plane ride? I know that you are having fun and I cannot wait to hear about the dragon boats. Only a few more days until you are a big sister and you get Sadie. Have a good time with Mommy. I love you!

Tricia

Greg and Steph said...

DeEtte,
Glad to hear y'all made it! We're praying for you guys! OH! HG wanted to know if Hannah would be a church Wed. night. Please tell Hannah that HG missed her!
Don't worry about the trash. I've got it covered!
Love y'all!
Steph

Lisa said...

So glad you arrived there safely. Sounds like you are off to a great start.I love the photos. Can't wait to see more.