Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Family Forever Day Hannah!

Two years ago today, I walked into an office in Wuhan, China. My daughter wasn't there yet, so I took pictures for another family and waited. Then, I saw a lady walk in carrying the child I knew to be mine. She was scared and looked at everything with big eyes. When she was handed to me, she cried - a lot. She calmed down with a lollipop but later in the hotel room would cry for a very long time. She finally stopped, ate lunch, and went to sleep. An hour or so later, she woke up and smiled. Ah..that first smile. From that point on, she was "all systems go" in jumping into her new life. It wasn't always easy for her and there were hurdles to cross (and some tantrums to throw along the way!), but she demonstrated a courage and resiliance most people only dream of. Over the last two years, she has grown so much in so many ways. I can't imagine life without her and can barely remember life before her. It still creates so much awe and wonder to sit and just think about what God has done and to remember every step he has taken me through in getting both my girls. Today, I especially remember and thank Him for sweet, spunky Hannah.

It's been a very interesting few days here involving conversations with my sweet girl. She's been asking questions about her time in china, at the orphanage, questions about her birthmom (which she called her "ex-mom" until I taught her the correct term...now where did she get that?? It's not like I have an ex-husband or something). The first conversation took me by suprise, but it was a good converstation I think and since then, she's been putting things together and starting to understand a little more of her story. Of course, having just witnessed the entire adoption process for Sadie has both answered some of her questions and created other questions. And I think that's a good thing. She doesn't understand it all - but it's a process. And I just pray for the wisdom and discernment over the long haul to answer her spoken questions honestly, but more importantly to answer the unspoken questions of her heart in a way that encourages her.

Today, we watched the video of her gotcha day, along with some other video from China. Hannah sat in my lap and watched closely. She's seen it before, but it was almost like she was seeing it with new eyes tonight. Afterwards, she very seriously asked me why she had a "China video" and not an "America Video". hmm..good question. I guess we'll be shooting some video this summer. We've had a good day...we had lunch with some friends. Beth and Wayne (nana and granddaddy) came over for dinner and Hannah picked the menu (fried rice, egg rolls, angel food cake, strawberries, and whipped cream). I let Hannah stay up late tonight (all the way to 9:00 - that's late for our house!). After I put Sadie to bed, Hannah and I just sat in the living room and played games for a while. It was a nice way to end the day.

Happy Family Forever Day Hannah!! I love you!

May 29, 2006 - the day I met Hannah




May 29, 2007 - one year later


May 29, 2008 - two years later


This next picture I had to include because it is just SO Hannah these days. It's in the backyard of Beth's house and Wayne was playing ball with her. It's her "I like to play active and don't mind getting hot, sweaty, and dirty - as long as I have my girly girl princess clothes and matching sandals" look! Hopefully, you'll get some real t-ball pictures next week. Hannah has had two practices so far and her first game is next week. She has loved practices and her coach is great - very patient and gentle and yet teaching a lot of skills! The *only* thing Hannah doesn't like so far is her gray baseball pants that her whole team will be wearing for the games, along with jersey and hat. She'd rather wear this to the games so she'll look good while she scores!

2 comments:

RamblingMother said...

happy family day!! Hannah is a doll in her princess ball clothes!!

Lisa said...

Happy Family Da Hannah and Happy BIRTHDAY to you DeEtte! I hope it is a great day for you and your girls. I know you have the best two gifts that anyone could give you. Hope to see you three sometime.