Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sorry - no pictures..but here's our day

Well, I'm sorry, but you don't get pictures today. The computer Beth brought won't let me onto blogger here in Nanjing (it's the hotel - not her computer). I can get on it in the business center to post, but can only upload pictures on one of the computers. It's been busy for a while with other users...so, you get a no picture post. I have some cute ones though - keep checking. I also can't actually see the blog or comments.

Anyway, overall today was a good day, but it had it's ups and downs. Both my girls slept GREAT last night which was a huge praise. We headed back to the office of civil affairs this morning to complete the adoption paperwork. As soon as we arrived, Sadie reached her arms out for the nanny that had brought her. She completely came alive for her and the director who she also likes very much. It was kind of sad in a way to see the difference, but also good to glimpse a bit of her personality that she hasn't shown us yet. The good news is when they left, she waved bye and was okay. After that, we headed to a park. Hannah especially needed a chance to just run and climb and play and she got that chance today. Sadie also enjoyed it, but was a lot more hesitant. I think it was all new to her. Her motor skills are definately delayed some, but she seemed interested enough in trying things that I bet it won't take long for her to catch up. What we've seen of her so far is general delays in all areas - in many ways she's more like an 18 month old or young 2 year old than 2.5 years. But, she's already imitating big sister some...

After we played, we ate lunch and headed back to the hotel. Hannah went down for a nap easily after all the running and playing. Sadie did not. She cried hard for a long time and finally fell asleep. She slept about 30 minutes and woke up crying hard..it's the first time she's grieved or cried hard since they handed her to us and to be honest, I was sad for her, but also glad to see that. It's a much healthier response than the blank look we had been getting some before. During the afternoon, Sadie livened up some and was blowing kisses, laughing at Hannah's antics and generally showing more of herself. She still has a long way to go though.

Hannah meanwhile who had been GREAT yesterday and this morning, had a tough afternoon. Her "green eyes" showed up more this afternoon. Anytime Sadie was in my lap, Hannah wanted to be in my lap. When we went for a walk later, Hannah developed a horrible "pain" that made her need to go back to the hotel...of course, as soon as we made it to the hotel, her "pain" was healed completely. I made it a point some to let Beth push Sadie in the stroller so I could walk with my big girl and give her some attention. It's tough though because while Hannah is the one who demonstrates her need for attention very clearly, Sadie does not. And yet I know that at this moment, she especially needs it a lot too.

Tomorrow is the orphanage visit. The plan was for us all to go, but I've changed my mind. I'm going to leave Hannah at the hotel with Beth for a fun day of swimming and McDonald's and undivided attention. Meanwhile, I'm going to take Sadie with me to visit her orphanage and shower her with some undivided attention too. Because this plan involves swimming and McD's, Hannah is very happy with it. The two of them actually get along very well right now. When I step back, Hannah is so sweet and gentle and loving and Sadie seems to just adore Hannah. It's only when I interact with Sadie, that Hannah's eyes turn green. I did think it was cute today though, Hannah had been whining a bit and we got on an elevator and a man got on too close to Sadie for Hannah's comfort. Hannah stepped between them and said "This is MY sister" . (and her unspoken words were "don't mess with her!").

Hopefully soon I can let you see some pictures. I have a great one of Sadie's first taste of ice cream...let's just say she didn't like the cold AT ALL!
I also have a great one of Hannah and Sadie flying a kite with an older man we saw at the park. He was so sweet to them and spent a long time with Hannah especially. She does seem to be making lots of friends here. People think she can speak Chinese so they walk up to her and say something in Chinese. She answers with "Nihao" (which means hello) and then continues the conversation in English. It's fun to watch.

Well, I'm off to bed. Our drive to the orphanage is 3 hours tomorrow, so it will be a long day.
love, DeEtte

3 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for the update even though I NEED pics. hehe.
Sounds like things are moving along just perfectly and everyone is acting the way they are supposed too (very normally) Although Q asks for a sister all the time I know for sure she doesn't realize she wouldn't be "queen bee". However, I think it would be good for her to be dethrowned for a bit. Hang in there and can't wait to hear how the orphanage visit goes!
Love and hugs,
KL and Quinlyn

The Ferrill's said...

Oh I will be praying for that orphanage visit and what a wonderful idea to let Hannah and Beth have some fun at the hotel!
It sounds like everything is going really well and I'm so glad, DeEtte! Can't wait to see pics! ;)
I can just see Hannah protecting her sis on that elevator...how sweet! They are going to be best buds!!!!!!!!!
Kimmie was delayed like you say Sadie is and she has already caught up to age level! And she was more like at 12-18 mos. level. So...Sadie will do great! ;) Especially with Miss Hannah as her teacher!

Lisa said...

Will be keeping you lifted up in prayers. Sounds like a great plan you have. Both girls will be getting some one on one time. I hope the orphanage visit goes well. I can see Hannah being the protective big sister. Can't wait to see more photos.