Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Pictures from Yesterday / Orphanage Visit Today

Just a few pictures from yesterday to start off:


Hannah flying a kite with a man we met in the park



Sadie trying out her new hat





Look out Hollywood - I have two acresses now!


Today was a good day and an interesting day and an exhausting day all rolled into one. After breakfast, Sadie and I headed to the orphanage with our guide and driver. Hannah stayed with Beth for some "down time". She had a great time and it was exactly the day she needed. She went swimming, had lunch at McDonald's, took a nap, and then watched movies and played in the room. When I got back later that afternoon, she was in a great mood and very relaxed and so sweet all evening. I so appreciate Beth giving her some much needed one-on-one attention today.


So, Sadie did well on the trip to Taizhou, her city. It was a long drive, but interesting to see the countryside and smaller cities along the way. Very different from the big cities we have stayed in. We got to the orphanage about 11:00 a.m. and as soon as we pulled up, three people ran to the van and literally whisked Sadie out and passed her among them. She was so happy to see them and was literally squealing and laughing. They took her off to play and visit while my guide and I visisted with the doctor and some of the officials of the orphanage. They answered some questions and I was able to give them some gifts and give them pictures of about 5 other families that have previously adopted from the orphanage. They loved looking at those pictures and it seemed to mean a lot to them. Emily- if you're reading this, they really oohed and aahed over Molly's pictures. But they looked at every single picture and every note and took their time carefully. They said they were putting the pictures in a large memory book they keep. Then, I got to visit the room Sadie lived in her first 2.5 years. It was a very different experience than visiting Hannah's orphanage. I guess because I always knew Hannah didn't spend a lot of time there. But Sadie lived there. It was a small room with about 10 cribs. There were 7 children in there (that's all that's in the orphanage now). Four were babies, two were toddlers, and one was a little 4 year old boy. The two youngest (2 months and 4 months) were girls and did not have special needs. The other five were all boys with some type of special need. I was allowed to take pictures of Sadie with the nanny and of Sadie's crib. But, I was asked not to get pictures of the other children. The workers were all VERY nice and friendly and Sadie obviously liked them a lot. They obviously liked her a lot too. That was good to see. The director of the orphanage was her favorite. Any time he walked in the room, she immediately reached her arms out for him. At one point, we walked by his office and his screen saver picture was Sadie dressed for her trip to Nanjing the day we got her. I commented on that and he motioned me over and started clicking. There were about 12 pictures of her that day with a variety of staff and in front of the orphanage on his computer. It was actually bittersweet I think for them and for me in some ways. That orphanage was no place for her to grow up...it was tiny and all the kids were delayed and there were not but two or three toys. I saw kids doing typical orphanage things like the four year old boy was walking in circles and another baby was in a crib and started to bang his head. The four month old was very alert and just watched everyone and cried if people got to far away. She just wanted some attention. So in that sense, it was not a good place at all. And yet, I can't deny that the people there seem to really care about the kids and do the best they can. And perhaps because it's all she's known, to Sadie - it's home. She was happy to be there and very sad to leave. I just pray the day comes soon that she realizes her new home is in fact, HOME.

After our visit, the director invited us to lunch. So we walked across the street to a restaurant where we were shown to a banquet room. Oh my - the food. It was a big round table with a big lazy susan filled with food. And they kept adding more and more food. Most of it was very good. My guide was great about prepping me by telling me what the food was before I tried it. But, I'm pretty adventurous so I tried most things. It was a lot of fun and randomly throughout the meal, people would stand up and toast someone else at the table and drink. Apparently, everytime you took a drink you were supposed to say "Gumbai" to someone (which means "cheers"). After several rounds of this, people settled and ate, and then someone would start it all over. Thanks to my guide's prompting, I think I "Gumbai"'d everyone I was supposed to at some point during the meal. Then everyone started laughing and talking and somehow the conversation turned to what the equivalent in English was and my guide said "cheers". But then she taught them the phrase "bottoms up". Then it got funny. The director kept toasting people and saying "bottoms up!" and laughing. He was a very nice man and talked about his wishes for Sadie to grow up and get a good education. He said they were organizing a trip (the orphanage staff) and decided to come to my house in America to visit her! All the staff talked about Sadie's friend Molly who was adopted several months ago. They were very happy when I told them she only lived a couple hours away. They expressed their hope that the girls could again "have relationship" and be friends. Finally, it was time to leave. I thought the director was going to cry, but instead he laughed. Sadie however did cry - a lot. She cried about 30 minutes adn then fell asleep in my arms. She woke up and was very sad. But she did not want me to put her down. However, she also wanted nothing to do with me..just my lap and that was it. She cried a little off and on through the rest of the trip. It was sad, but when we got back to the hotel, she was a different child. She spent the afternoon playing and interacting with all of us so much more than she had before. She and Hannah danced. She hugged me (of her own free will), and she ate supper really well. She is now alseep. The trip was hard for her, but I hope it gave her some sort of closure to have gone. I hope in her little mind, it gave her some kind of permission to let go and embrace her new life. A big task for such a little girl.


Sadie with the director of the orphanage
Sadie with one of the nannies in her room. The crib behind them with the red blanket was Sadie's crib.

Hannah and Sadie - aren't they both beautiful!

Tomorrow we do some more sightseeing here in Nanjing. Friday we will pick up Sadie's passport and head to Guangzhou. I think we're all ready for the next leg of the trip. Once again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers for my family. We are doing good. Today wasn't the easiest day, but it turned out to be a good day. Good for all of us I think.

11 comments:

Sherri said...

I love the pictures! I know it was hard for you to take Sadie back to the orphanage....but like you said, hopefully, it will help bring closure for her.

Mia noticed the Dora hat and the man flying the kite in the first picture. She called him "ye ye" which is Chinese for grandpa, I think. It's so funny that after a year, she still comes out with random Chinese words.

Enjoy the rest of your stay in Sadie's town. It will be nice to get to Guangzhou, won't it?

We're still praying.

Sherri

Karen said...

I LOVE the last pic of the girls in chinese dress. They look like they've been together forever! So so adorable. Also really glad you had a chance to go to the orphanage. I think it's an important piece of the trip even though it is hard.
Enjoy every min of China...
Love and hugs,
KL and Quinlyn

Pamster said...

Deette - Thanks for posting so much info about the orphanage. I had wondered how big it is and had the impression it was fairly small. In the picture of Sadie in the room with the cribs - I think my son's crib was the wooden one on the very right next to the shelves. Do you mind if I save some of your notes for his lifebook? Thanks.

The Ferrill's said...

DeEtte you are such a good mommy, and I am so glad that the orphanage visit is behind you now. You made it! And so did Sadie! I know it must have really encouraged you for her to be more free with her love and joy once yall came back to the hotel. I'm sure it was good closure for her, and a very important step toward bonding to her forever mommy and sister!!!
I love all the pictures; she is such a sweetheart! How wonderful that Beth could spend the day with Hannah. What a blessing!
Two more days until Guangzhou!!!!! Sure hope Sadie likes to shop! ;)

Stefanie said...

Yeahh!! So glad to see Miss Sadie in your arms, DeEtte!! She is so beautiful and looks like she's been in your family forever :)
I know you will be so glad you visited the orphanage, I really think it helps toddlers with closure.

Greg and Steph said...

Oh DeEtte! Your girls are beautiful!!! I am so overjoyed for you!
I am praying for you daily!
Thanks for sharing your trip and newest daughter with us!
Steph

Ryan and Kapi said...

DeEtte,
Oh my goodness, I cried and cried at todays post. I know that she is going to love being with you and she will embrace the life that you and Hannah have started. You are a great mom and a wonderful role model. It is closure and some sadness but thats ok because with every sad ending, there is a happy beginning.

Can't wait to meet her and see her and love her too
Kapi

To China for Molly said...

Hi, I am so excited for you. I had lost your blog address. Debby emailed me today so I got it. She looks so happy and very beautiful. I am so happy to hear that the director and staff were asking about Molly. She is great. I can't wait to get the girls together sometime. When you all get settled of course!! I think we are doing great. It has already been 6 months. I can't believe that. Have a great rest of your trip. LOve, Emily

Angie said...

Hey D! God is so good! You are a beautiful family! Noah wants to know when we are going to pick up his new brother from China...so if you can pick one up for us that would be great. Noah also wants you to tell Hannah hello for him. I love you! Can't wait to see you all!

Sonya said...

WOW! That was a bitter sweet visit! I wish we could have done that......

I love reading your posts and your pics are great!!!

THE GIRLS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Keeping you in our prayers,

Sonya

Anonymous said...

DeEtte, I'm amazed by your story. Your family is in my prayers. What a great Mother's Day!
God Bless
Susan Clark