Monday, May 05, 2008

She's Here!!







What an amazing day! This morning we headed to the Civil Affairs office to meet Sadie. There were four families total today, but we were early and actually were almost finished by the time everyone else arrived. Sadie came in with the orphanage director and two nannies. They obviously cared for her very much. She cried some, but not really too much. The separation from the orphanage workers was a bit tough for her, but that's to be expected. We left in a van and I gave her a sucker lollipop which calmed her right down. Hmm..flash back to two years ago - that worked for her sister too! We went shopping to buy a stroller, some snacks, and supplies. Sadie (who we are calling by her Chinese nickname for the time being: GangGang - pronounced gong-gong) loved the store. After that, she has been great all day. She ate a very good lunch, took a good nap, and over the afternoon and evening slowly warmed up to playimg. We also went shoe shopping since we had none that would fit her. She has been slow to warm up and she has that hypervigilant look all the time. Her eyes are noticing everything as she tries to make sense of all that has happened. She did treat us to some smiles and laughs this afternoon and evening though. Hannah has been wonderful and actually coaxed Sadie's first words out of her "jie jie" (which means big sister). I *think* I heard her try to say "Give me dat" tonight, which would definately be in imitation of Hannah! The orphanage workers told us she still takes a bottle, but she has already showed that she can drink from a straw and from a sippy cup just fine. She has tried chopsticks, fork, and spoon and well - considering she had noodles for lunch and spaghetti for supper, she's about as good with utensils as any 2 year old eating that. She has great control of a couple of fingers on both hands and so has used those couple of fingers to do most things. So far, Sadie has been mostly quiet and observant. But she has a sweet spirit and a sweet smile and a cute little laugh. She's tiny..definately can't wear Hannah's pass me down 3's yet. I think 2's will be okay..but she can wear the one 18 months pants I brought too.


It has been truly amazing to watch my two girls today. I know there will be issues and jealously and things to work out...but right now everything just feels so right. We belong together as a family. Hannah has asked half a dozen times today "can we keep my sister Sadie PLEASE". Yes, yes, yes - we are keeping her. She belongs with us. God has once again done amazing wonderful things.


Thank you so much for the sweet comments and the prayers. You are making a difference even now. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. Sadie has a lot more adjusting over the next few days and weeks and months. So do the other two of us. Tomorrow we return to the office of Civil Affairs to complete the adoption paperwork. And Wednesday, we will visit the orphanage. Those events were not a big deal for Hannah, but since she lived in a foster family, the orphanage staff and the orphanage itself held no real meaningingful place in her life. I believe her foster family was meaningful, but we were not given the opportunity to meet them. But, for Sadie, the orphanage staff is the only family she's ever known. I'm a little concerned that it will be hard for her to see them again and worry what she will think when she returns to the orphanage to visit. I do plan to have our guide explain to her that we are visiting only and she will return to the hotel with us afterwards..but at two, it's hard to make her understand. So, that's my prayer request for the next couple of days.
I will try to post more pictures either tomorrow night or Wednesday night. Thanks for following our journey!
love, DeEtte, Hannah, and Sadie (and of course Beth - who once again managed pictures and video of our "gotcha moment" like a pro!)

17 comments:

Pamster said...

Ahhh - such sweet pictures. Congratulations!! Will be praying for your transition as a family.

Burton said...

Sadie is beautiful, just like her big sister! We are praying for you all and thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Madge Burton

Tricia said...

Ahhhh, DeEtte, Sadie is just beautiful. She has the most gorgeous face when she smiles! I just knew that Hannah would love to meet her sister. How sweet that she wanted to keep her. My prayers are with you guys and the trip to the orphanage. You are a family now and just in time for Mother's Day! I love you guys,
Tricia

Karen said...

WOO HOOO!! Congrats DeEtte! I've been checking all morning for your post. Sadie is BEAUTIFUL and you can see her sweetness. I had to laugh that Sadie is repeating words. Q was the exact same age on Gotcha day. I don't recall her repeating anything on Gotcha day but the following day she started to repeat everything! That's when I knew I had to start watching every word. :) By the time you get home, she'll be repeating full sentences! HA.
I am SO HAPPY for you and Sadie and Hannah!!!
Safe travels,
Love and hugs,
KL and Quinlyn

The Ferrill's said...

CRYING in Springville!!!!!
I've got six kiddos surrounding me right now hanging on to every word I read...we are all SO thrilled and here is everybody's first remarks:
Laine: 'Oh my goodness she is so beautiful!'
Carlie: 'Aw, she is so sweet. And SO flexible!'
Katie Lyn: 'She has a hand exactly like Kimmie's! I can't wait to babysit her!'
Colby: 'Wait a minute, read that again.'
Clay: 'She's really cute.'
Kimmie: 'Can I see, Mommy?'
Quan: 'Adie?'
DeEtte she just looks like she belongs with yall! I can't describe it, but it all looks so RIGHT! And she does look tiny! We are so excited and we will continue to pray over that orphanage visit for sure!
We love her already just like we love her big sissy! ;)

Hope for Lucy said...

I finally see pictures...and yes...even woke up at 3:00 this morning to check. She is beautiful. She reminds me so much of Ms. Lily Grace...same features and sweet innocment smile. Our prayers are with you Mommy. You know have two beautiful girls!

Love
Connie

Lisa said...

Oh DeEtte, She is beautiful and petite looking. We couldn't wait to see pictures. You have both of your girls now all together finally. What a wonderful mother's day gift a week early. God is great! Praying that she continues to do well and the transition and grieving is minimal. Hopefully her big sister can help her too. Sounds like she is being a big help. Keeping you all lifted up in prayers. Can't wait for the next update.

Sherri said...

She is beautiful! Smiling already! We didn't get that with Mia for a long time.

I'm praying for the transition.

Sherri

Lisa said...

I went back and looked at the photos again. Ana Claire wanted to see Hannah and Sadie again and we both noticed she was almost sitting in the splits. You may have another gymnast on your hands. LOL

Anonymous said...

DeEtte, What a wonderful story! I have been reading your blog, and I am amazed at what all you have accomplished. These are two special and lucky girls! I would love to get together with you sometime soon.
Jodie

Tammy said...

She is BEAUTIFUL!

Congratulations!
Tammy
www.youbelong.net/thehills

Anonymous said...

We're SO HAPPY for you...Sadie is precious & Hannah looks like she going to be the BEST big sister. We will continue to pray for you and your family. Happy Mother's Day DeEtte! What special gifts from God!

Love, hugs & kisses,
Melany, Michael & Kaiser

Denna said...

She is beautiful!!! Congratulations.

Doreen said...

WHAT A DOLL! Thanks for sharing!
Doreen in Montreal

Anonymous said...

Well the Walker's are amazed at how soon you were with her -- and we are amazed at how beautiful you baby girl is -- Holly and I checked in first thing this morning and it brought tears to our eyes and joy to our hearts -- our prayers are with you guys and Dannah is ready for a playmate!!! We will be praying for your upcoming visit that the Lord will comfort Sadie's heart and give her understanding that only he can give -- peace and she will already feel such love from her new forever family that she will be content and without fear...or worry...she feels it already -- :) John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you."

Anonymous said...

Once again, I am writing this with tears of joy falling down my face. Sadie is gorgeous! I am so, so happy for the three of you. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Joy says, "tell Hannah I want to see her baby sister soon." :-)

Please know we are continuing to pray for your sweet family, especially for Sadie as she goes through this transition period.
Becky

Sonya said...

PRAISE GOD! She is finally in her Mommy's arms!

SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!