Monday, May 12, 2008

Last Post from China

Pictures in random order because my internet connection is going to expire before I can move them all around :-)


Sadie trying the see-saw at the park



Sadie and Hannah by the flowers in the park


Waterfall in our hotel

This is the morning routine I've got them in - they wake up early before Beth and I are ready to get up. So, now they get their books and read in their beds...they're pretty good about it too! They end up in the same bed reading and giggling before too long though. It's cute.


On the Riverboat cruise


Hannah at the park

This will be my last post from China. First, thanks for the concerned e-mails, but we are all fine. The earthquake that hit China was absolutely no where near us. We didn't feel a thing and did not have any idea that there was an earthquake until our guide told us this evening. It is also not anywhere near the area we will be going through tomorrow. Just wanted you to know we are okay.

Today has been another good low-key day. After breakfast, we went to a local playground for a while. We walked back through another park nearby and just enjoyed walking around. We picked up laundry and headed back to the hotel. I had to be in the hotel room for an hour waiting on my guide to call and give me the "all clear" that everything was in order at the U.S. Consulate with my paperwork. After he called, we ate lunch and took naps. We played in the hotel room for most of the afternoon. This evening, we enjoyed a riverboat cruise. My friends who have been to guangzhou before - the food was just as bad but the boat ride itself was great. Hannah loved the lights. Sadie liked the bridges we passed under. I have spent a while tonight trying to pack..ugh! I think we're going to make it though! I had some really good news tonight..my wonderful social worker called to check on us and informed me that I had a grant from Shaohannah's Hope come through after I left the U.S.! I was somewhat concerned that I didn't have quite everything I needed and was coming back to debt...but was trying *really* hard to leave it in God's hand. Some days I was more successful than others with that. Of course, once I made it to China, I just stopped thinking about it. And God continues to provide...I am amazed and humbled and challenged to keep believing God for His promises day to day!
Tomorrow we are taking the girls swimming in the morning and hoping we can wear them out for an early nap and lunch. Then, we head to the U.S. Consulate for our "swearing in" ceremony and to pick up Sadie's visa. From there, we will catch a train to Hong Kong and spend one night there. Early Wednesday morning, we will head to the airport in Hong Kong and fly to Newark, NJ and then on to Birmingham!! We will arrive in Birmingham at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday night on flight CO 2756 (continental). (After about 23 hours travel!). We'd love to see you if you're local and want to come...but you should probably call the airport first. Not trying to be pessimistic or anything - but we haven't had an on-time flight yet except the one out of Birmingham originally.
Thanks so much for all your thoughts and good wishes and prayers. There will be much adjustment left for all of us when we get home, but we are good. God is good. And He is at work in my family in an amazing way. I will post again when we are home (but not that night - I'm sure that night we will simply crash!) Thanks for joining us on this incredible journey!
love, DeEtte

5 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

SO thankful yall are safe!
I love these pics, DeEtte! I can't get over how all of a sudden Hannah looks so GROWN! Sadie is so beautiful...what precious little rosebud lips!
When we first brought K & Q home we did the EXACT same routine...I put them in my bed with books while I showered, etc. It was a great help to me that they would play in the bed and not get down, so I knew where they were!
We are hoping to be at the airport to greet you and get a sneak peek at your beautiful girls! ;)
Oh, and I am praising God with you about the grant, DeEtte!!!!! That is SO awesome!

Hope for Lucy said...

Thank you for the update. I had also been worried about you and started praying for your safety. Praying for a safe trip home.

Love
Green Party of Four

Karen said...

Wow, is your trip over already?? I have truly enjoyed every step of the way (again). I had to chuckle about the Riverboat cruise. Remember how wild Hannah and Q were the night we went on it? (or maybe it was just Q?) I looked at those pics a couple of nights ago. Not only does it seem an enternity ago, the girls look SO LITTLE. What has happened to our little girls?? hehe. Sadie and Hannah are so adorable together.She just looks perfect with you guys. You are so very blessed!! Safe travels home. Can't wait for the next post. :)
Love and hugs,
KL and Quinlyn

Anonymous said...

Okay, you made me cry again--joyful once more. The part about your getting the grant really touched me. God is so good and does continue to be faithful even when we aren't too sure how things will work out. Thanks for sharing your story of faith with all of us. Your life is a witness to me, DeEtte! I'm just so glad to know you and your sweet family. The Mantooths are looking forward to meeting Sadie. Joy says she's ready to go get her a new baby too. :-)
Becky

Ana said...

I won't make it to the airport this time but I wish you all the best! You will all be in my prayers during this transitional period as Sadie gets adjusted to her new home. I just can't wait to meet her later this summer. God bless! Ana Kelly