Saturday, May 10, 2008

Catching Up

Sorry it's been a couple days...we've been busy. Let's see where we left off..

Two days ago we did some more sightseeing in Nanjing. We went to a mausaleum where we climbed 382 steps (or something like that..don't remember the exact number). And we did this with two children - the four year old was fine. The two year old...well.. she climbed a little, I carried her a little, she climbed a little, Beth carried her a little (repeat about 10 times).

Then we went to Ming Tombs which was a beautiful walking area. Hannah enjoyed it because it was fairly level ground so I let her push Sadie in the stroller. We then headed back to the hotel for lunch and nap and some playtime. Sadie is so cute in how she tries to imitate Hannah. I am seeing her come out of her little shell more and more each day. And yet, sometimes, she retreats back into it. I can't imagine what she must be thinking - so many new experiences and changes for a little girl who's lived most of her life in a little room.








That evening we just hung around the hung around the hotel. We were all pretty tired and the not feeling so great. I think I had some kind of stomach bug or something that was not so fun. Thankfully it only lasted that one evening. Before that hit, we did take a little walk to pick up some photos and take some pictures around the temple area near where we are staying.






Yesterday was travel day. We headed to Guangzhou. Our plane was delayed and we were getting pretty irritated. There was a nursery that was locked and had a sign in English telling us to call a number to have it opened. So we did..and 45 minutes later and 3 phone calls later, they tell us "sorry, it's closed." Ah..little things, but I think at that moment we were out of patience and goodwill. However, after that Beth (Super Nana!) managed to get us a private area to wait in the first class lounge. They even brought us snacks to eat. So, now I know how first class passengers are treated in airports. It was much better than corralling two kids in a crowded gate area for two hours and I think it saved my sanity. Someday when I have lots of time, I'll have to share all of our airport stories. For some reason, every travel day has had it's share of , um, adventures. But, our stays in the cities, our guides, and everything related to the adoption has been great - so I'm very thankful for that. I'm also thankful that all of our travel um, adventures, has had to do with schedules or people OTHER than the kids. They (Sadie and Hannah) have been great travellers!!
Well, we got to Guangzhou late last night and can I say it feels SO good to be here. Sadie had her medical exam this morning and her picture taken for her visa. I completed paperwork with my guide, and then we all headed to Lucy's Cafe for an "American lunch". I actually love Chinese food and have eaten well here for the most part - but after 9 days, I was quite happy to have American food. Well, actually, I had a quesadillia, but it was good. Sadie had her first taste of a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich and she liked it. She liked the fries more I think.

This afternoon we have some serious playtime planned..maybe the pool, maybe a playground near here..just down time and playing. They're both napping now. Tomorrow, we have serious shopping planned. And more playing. Monday is my consulate appointment and Tuesday I get Sadie's visa and we take the train to Hong Kong. We will be home Wednesday.

I still can't actually pull up this blog or see the comments, but I do feel your prayers. Continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers during these last few days. Sadie is a precious little girl and I can't wait for you all to meet her. However, I probably will keep her home with me for a while first. She is adjusting very differently than Hannah did. She is so much easier in some ways. She acts content to be with me and she's so sweet and playful. But she's equally happy to be with anyone else...she would go to a stranger on the street in a heartbeat. I'm convinced that she thinks I'm a nice fun person to play with and who feeds her. But she doesn't yet really know that I'm mama. She's never had a mother to know what that means. So, all that to say, I appreciate your understanding if we don't get out and visit with everyone soon after we return. However, if you want to meet us at the airport - we'd love to see you. I'll post details some time before then. But then, we will spend some time at home learning to become a family.

SWEET SISTERS!! Aren't they PRECIOUS!

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Happy Mother's Day, DeEtte!

It'll come, don't worry. Sadie will learn what a mama is, and what it means to be in a family. Adopting a 2 year old is a wild ride! You're definitely doing the right thing in keeping her close by when you get home.

I love all the pictures!

Sherri

Tricia said...

DeEtte,
What a beautiful family you have. I am so glad that Hannah was able to go on the trip. It is amazing how it seems having another child there helps with the transition of the adoptive child.

They look like they are going to be fast friends and I can only imagine what that means for you!!!!! Can you say getting into trouble together? It will be so much fun to watch.

Of course you will need that time when you get home. Just don't ever forget to call me if you need anything or if Hannah needs an afternoon of spoiling - Miss Tricia would love nothing more...

Enjoy the last leg of the trip. I will try to be at the airport when you get home. Love you all,

Tricia

Greg and Steph said...

Happy Mother's Day!!!
Your girls are so beautiful!!!!
Love seeing them together!
Love y'all!
Steph

Hope for Lucy said...

Thanks for the update.....I was missing you. Sadie and Hannah look wonderful together.

Happy Mothers Day!

Love
Green Party of Four

Karen said...

SWEET SWEET SWEET!!
Happy Mother's Day!

Love and hugs,
KL and Quinlyn