Thursday, June 01, 2006

Visit to Yellow Crane Tower
















This morning, Hannah woke up all smiles and giggles and ready to play. Beth had bought her a toy phone last night that lights up and talks and plays music. (We're hoping having it decreases her interest in resetting our alarm clark each night - this girl loves buttons!). Hannah played with it for a long time, handing the phone to us and saying "ello", "eye, eye" (hello, bye-bye). We headed down for breakfast. She is loving the watermelon here. We went back up to play a while and then met our guide for a visit to the Yellow Crane Tower. It is one of the famous sights of Wuhan. All these pictures are from there. I don't know why some of them posted twice - but I'm happy they posted so I'm not messing with them. The view of the city from atop the tower was great. You can see a Christian Church in the background. Hannah's orphanage is next to the church - although you can't really see it in these pictures. Jordan told us that the church was home to Wuhan's first orphanage back before 1945. He said the government stepped in and started providing social welfare after that point.
There were MANY steps to climb up and town at the tower and Hannah is quite good with steps. She loved looking out over the city. I was struck with a little sadness while holding her as I realized she was looking out over her city and tomorrow, we will be leaving. I've heard other families describe the bittersweetness of leaving their child's birth city, but didn't really understand that until now. I'm ready to head to Guangzhou and then home with my daughter. She will have many more opportunities to become the person God has created her to be. And yet - it is a bit sad to think of her leaving this culture and city. But, I'm trying to learn and soak up as much as possible, so that I'll have stories to share with her when she's older.
Hannah got a little restless and whiney at the end of our trip. We headed back to the hotel for lunch (Macaroni and Cheese) and a nap. She is sleeping now. I'm going to go try to pack up some while she is sleeping. Our guide is coming over this afternoon to give us the schedule for tomorrow and to take us to a local restaurant so we can sample some "hotpot" - a dish that is very popular here in Wuhan. I don't know when I'll update again - some time after I get to Guangzhou. Tomorrw we pick up Hannah's passport at the Civil Affairs office and tomorrow afternoon we fly out.
DeEtte

5 comments:

Tricia said...

Hey DeEtte,
Awesome pics. Hannah has turned into a great little trouper. I am amazed and how well she seems to be adjusting. You seem to be such a big comfort to her and have got this MAMA stuff down. I am so excited for both of you.

Now Beth had the right idea with the phone. Seems like Hannah is going to be a good little computer person if she likes to press buttons. I always did as well. HA HA

Safe travels today and I assume this will be Hannah's first plane ride. She is going to have a blast!

Now to Hannah: Have fun sweetie. We are all at home waiting to meet you and love on you. Take care of your mom for us. Love you little girl.

Tricia

Anonymous said...

Good Morning...I wake up everymornig...feed Kaiser then check to see what's happened in your life overnight...Michael comes trailing in right behind me so he can read it as well. Your journey has become our reality "internet". We love hearing about Hannah and what she's learning everyday. The two of you are a perfect match. God has such big plans for the two of you. I looking forward to observing what HE has in store for both of you.

Have a safe trip! We can't wait to meet Hannah! Many prayers and God Bless!

Love,
Melany, Michael and Kaiser

Anonymous said...

This blog is so great - we're so happy you are taking the time to keep it up so that we can share this adventure with you. With each photo we see of Hannah, we get more anxious to meet her in person.

Leanne told Jordan about Hannah. They are about the same age, I think. We are all invited to go swimming at their pool this summer.

We are all SO HAPPY for you!!!!!!!!

Sonya said...

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

Sonya
DH Jeff
DS Drew (11)
DS Ben (8)
Katie Lin (2)
Jiangxi Province
Family Day 2/22/05

Anonymous said...

DeEtte,

I am so enjoying following your journey to Hannah! She sounds like she is doing great. You are in our prayers. Tell Jordan the Bentler Family says hello and that I've been meaning to email him for awhile. Safe journey to GZ and home! Jill