Sunday, June 04, 2006

A Fun Day!

This morning after breakfast we headed to the zoo. It was very hot and humid, but Hannah enjoyed herself. She imitated the signs for several of the animals we saw. She liked the bears best. At the end, we found a little play area. Hannah and I rode several rides and she loved it. After our last ride, she decided she was not ready to go - so once again she staged her own "sit-in" protest in the amusement park. For some reason, this time other people weren't ready to come try to talk to her. Maybe because it was a zoo so most of the other people there have children too and understand? In fact, one lady commented to Beth that her daughter does the same thing.
We waited on her, and just as we started thinking maybe she could outlast us, it started raining. That got her up and to me in a hurry! We got soaked rushing out of the zoo, but it really felt good after being so hot.

We came back to the hotel and ate lunch. Then, Hannah and I both took about a 2 hour nap. Hannah and I went shopping. I'm going to be in trouble when she's a teenager. She loves new clothes, shoes, and purses!! After that, we decided to try out the pool. Hannah loved it!! She loves being in the water.

We went a couple doors down to play with our new friends Karen and Quinlynn. Karen adopted a 2 year old last week as well. We got to know each other a little online before traveling, and had the same flight from Newark to Beijing. She then went on to a different province, but is now here in Guangzhou. (Since everyone ends in Guangzhou). Hannah and Quinlynn weren't too sure of each other at first, but then started laughing and playing together.

We enjoyed a late dinner at Lucy's, and then did a little more shopping. Hannah went to bed fairly easy. I'm hoping she sleeps better tonight. Last night she did not sleep well at all. But, her cough is a lot better today, so I'm hopefull she'll rest better tonight. She's been in a great mood overall though. She continues to amaze me with the things she picks up. She is understanding a lot more English than I expected after such a short time, even though she is not speaking much. She also loves to be "on the go". If she's ready to go and I'm not, she decides to help me out by bringing me my shoes and bag!
She is also so sweet! It's amazing to watch how much more cuddly and affectionate she has become. When I think about our first day together - it was a good first day. But each day has gotten better and she almost doesn't seem like the same child. Everyone here comments on her smile and she does have a smile that lights up the room. And I get to see it all the time!

Tomorrow morning we are hanging around the hotel. I have my U.S. Consulate Appointment at 10:30. I don't actually go to the consulate - my guide goes for me with all the paperwork I have already filled out. But, I am suppossed to be in my room so she can reach me if there are any questions. Once she calls with the "all-clear", we are free to do whatever we want. We are meeting her later in the afternoon to go to a Jade and Pearl Factory. Then tomorrow night, we have a Riverboat Cruise planned.

Our guide reconfirmed our flights for us today - and we will be flying into Birmingham as planned - at about 9:07 p.m. (barring any delays) on Wednesday night. To me, it will feel good to be home. But to Hannah, it may seem like another hotel. hmm - that won't be 5 star though. No HUGE breakfast buffet, no elevators (she loves pushing the button), no one to come turn our bed down at night and leave chocolate and slippers out for us, but it will be HOME and where we belong. (So, if any of you want to help ease the transition for Hannah by coming and turning my bed down at night and leaving chocolate by my bed . .well, I guess we can work something out!) :-)

okay, I've tried several times to post pictures and I don't know why it's not working. Sorry - but I'm ready to go to bed, so I'll try again tomorrow night.

Lori and Drew - I told Rebecca you said hi. She said she misses your family and that you have beautiful girls!

Jill - I showed Rebecca the pictures of the jewlry you sent and she said we could find them tomorrow at the jade factory, so I'm on the lookout!

Good night!
DeEtte

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DeEtte, you are making me miss China! Hannah sounds like such a blessing, tantrums and sit-ins and all. Thank you for working on those necklaces for me; please tell Rebecca and Lily that the Bentler family says hello. And if I lived in B'ham I'd bring you chocolate and slippers... darn though, we're in Calif! LOL...

Jill

Tricia said...

DeEtte:

It is great to hear that everything is still going well. I love reading about the "sit-ins". That is a typical 2 year old for you...LOL

I will be at the airport on Wednesday. I have a workout planned before it so I may not be looking pretty but I cannot wait to meet Hannah and welcome you guys home!

Still loving the journal entries. Take care and have fun the last few days in Hannah's birth country.

Love you,
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Well, you sound just like all other moms of toddlers...some exasperation, more patience, lots of love.

I think Hannah will love her new home (even without nighttime turndown service!). We are soooo looking forward to meeting her.

drew and lori said...

Thanks DeEtte! I am so enjoying reading your journal! You are doing such an awesome job! Hannah is a doll and is doing so well.