Friday, June 02, 2006

Safely in Guangzhou






Well, we made it to Guangzhou and Hannah is asleep now as I'm typing this. First of all, thanks for the many prayers and wishes and comments on the blog. I can finally pull it up here at the White Swan Hotel. While I don't have time to respond to all the messages - know how much I appreciate them and you!!

Last night, we went to a local restaurant with our guide for "hotpot" - a traditioanl meal of Wuhan. It was very good. Hannah loved it. She picked up the chopsticks and ate like a pro for the first couple bites. Then, she did what any 2 year old would do: she held the chopsticks in one hand and picked her food up with the other hand to eat!! We walked around a little and then headed back to our hotel. Hannah went to sleep fairly easy and slep a little later than normal this morning. Good thing - because she never really got a nap in today. When she woke up, she crawled into my bed and stayed there beside me for a little while.

After breakfast we headed to the Civil Affairs Office to pick up Hannah's passport. It was a short, sweet little ceremoney and then we were off to the airport. I got a little teary-eyed driving through Wuhan the last time. We said good-bye to Jordan at the airport and he had brought Hannah a little gift. He has been great. Hannah did really well on the flight. It was only an hour and 20 minutes - but she did great until the last 10 minutes because she wanted the seat belt OFF. She was perfectly happy having it on the rest of the flight when it didn't really matter. Anyway, I was pleased with her first plane flight. I had packed her a little backpack with toys for the flight. She adores the backpack (Thanks Denise!) and doesn't really like to take it off. But she didn't need the toys for the flight. She was completely amused by taking wet wipes and wiping herself, me, Beth, the tray of her seat, and whatever else was in reach.

Hannah has been somewhat grumpy this afternoon. But, that's what no nap does. I tried to put her down when we got to the hotel and she slept about 10 minutes and woke herself up coughing. She seems fine as long as she's up playing, but is coughing a lot when she lays down. We decided to go to dinner at Lucy's - an American Cafe. She loved the french fries and the ice cream we had for dessert. She was so dissapointed when the ice-cream was gone - that she decided to lick the plate! We went back to our hotel and found the playroom and let her play for a while. Then, we went to get ready for bed. She fought bedtime tonight pretty hard - crying and screaming. It's been a tough day for her - her first plane ride, no nap, a new hotel, a new van and guide. She's seemed very vigilant today about where I am and also where Beth is.
She wasn't too excited to see our new guide, Rebecca. Rebecca is great and I'm sure Hannah will warm up to her. I just think she was looking for Jordan - our old guide. So many changes in her little life in such a short time. You can pray that her cold improves so that she can get some good rest. I think it will do wonders for her.

We are calling Hannah by her name "Hannah" now, mixed with "Xiu Xiu" and "Hannah Xiu". She's not consistent at responding to Hannah, but is starting to.
She imitates EVERYTHING she sees me do. I put deoderant on this morning, and there's this little girl standing next to me pulling up her shirt and motioning for her to have some! Getting her to brush her teeth has been no problem once I figured out I just needed to brush mine in her sight and she'd come running for her toothbrush!

She is an amazing child! I really wish I could get a good picture of her "pout" that she is becoming famous for. It's the "I'm not REALLY mad, but I want you think I am" pout and it's the funniest I've ever seen. (And y'all know that as a preschool teacher - I've seen lots of pouts). Hers really is the funniest! But, when the camera comes out, the pout is over.

Tomorrow we meet our guide at 9:00 a.m. to go for Hannah's medical exam. Then we will return to the room to go over some paperwork things. We may go shopping off the island tomorrow afternoon.


Okay, I'm off to bed. Later!
love, DeEtte

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey DeEtte and Hannah,
Well it sounds like little miss Hannah is going to do well in ECLIPSE next year. It's amazing how fast she is picking up on everything. Michael and I were wondering if Hannah could give us lessons on the chop sticks?
We are so glad the plane ride went well and we hope the checkup goes as easily for you.
Keeping you in our prayers. See ya soon!
Love,
Melany, Michael and Kaiser

Tricia said...

Hey DeEtte!

Great news to hear that you all made it. I know how much traveling wipes me out so I can only assume how tired Hannah is.

She sounds like she is attaching to you more and more each day. That is such an answer to prayer!

I will just have to bring her some Dairy Queen when you guys get back. A girl after my own heart - ice cream!!!!

I know that you guys are getting tired - hang in there. Only a few more days until you come home. Enjoy shopping - maybe your days of "Frogger" are over. Be safe.

Love you,

Tricia Thompson

drew and lori said...

I'm so glad you are in Guangzhou safely and that the first plane ride went well. We had Rebecca as our guide- will you please tell her that Drew, Lori, Kalie, Karlee and Kate Jamieson said hi and that we are doing great!!! Thanks! Have fun and we look forward to continuing your journey! God is so Good!!

Anonymous said...

With each photo I see, I get more and more anxious to meet Miss Hannah. We are saving up lots and lots of hugs and kisses...for when she's ready of course.

You are a great mom, I can tell already! Your patience and love are just what she needs.

Tell Beth hi for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Babe,
I know you must be tired but I can tell you're also happy! Dad and I can't wait to see our little grand-daughter. I've showed her picture to everyone who comes in the office. I even had the girls at the bank pulling up the journal today. She'll have a whole group of other people to learn here! We so much appreciate Beth for being there with you and Hannah. Take care. We'll be praying for a safe trip home.

Love,
Mom & Dad