Saturday, June 03, 2006

Medical Exam, Shopping, Bathing, and Playing!















Pictures:
1. Happy Girl!
2. I love to wash my hair
3. What do you think of my new dress?
4. I love my Mrs. Potato Head - hey, is that her arm coming out her nose? Well, I like her this way!

Hannah had a rough night's sleep last night. She woke herself up several times coughing. At about 2:00, she ended up in my bed and slept okay until about 7:00ish. Once she got up and going, she was all smiles and seemed to feel fine.
After breakfast, we went for her medical exam. I had hoped to have pictures of it, but well . . it wasn't really pleasant and I wasn't able to really get pictures. Hannah did not want to get out of the stroller for her visa photo they take right before the exam. She had too, which created a little tantrum. Her visa photo shows a scowl! Then we went a couple doors down for the exam. At one point, she ended up staging her own "sit-in" protest by promptly sitting on the sidewalk and refusing to move and by screaming. I've learned by now, that if you just give her a couple minutes, she'll calm down and we can go on. But, the people passing by on the streets would have none of that. They all wanted to stop and talk to her as she is having this melt-down. It was a little frustrating, because I knew it was making the situation worse. I looked up at our guide and told her that I knew if everyone would leave her alone, she'd be fine in a couple minutes. Our guide was great and tried to run interference for me - telling the people to go on, we were fine. Finally I got her to the exam room. She cried through the whole thing, but did cooperate. Luckily it was short. She weighs 14 kilograms, which I think is right at 30 pounds. She is 91 or 92 cm tall. I haven't figured that in inches yet. Everyone we meet here in Guangzhou first asks her age and then says "oh - she is a big girl".

After the exam, we headed back to the hotel. Hannah and I played in the room a while and then I had a bunch of paperwork to fill out. We went to the playroom and Beth entertained Hannah for me while I did the paperwork with our guide. We went to lunch at a restaurant called "The Cow and Bridge". It's a Thai restaurant and was very good. Hannah really does a good job with eating out. After lunch, I put her down for a nap. We spent the afternoon mostly playing. We went to the play room for a little while, but this time there were other kids there. Before it was just us. Hannah left the babies and little kids alone and went straight for the older boys to try to take away their toys. I don't have to worry about her being picked on - she can hold her own! Later, a little girl, maybe 18 months old, wandered over to Hannah and I. She kept putting her head down on my lap or reaching for a hug. Hannah would have none of that! She became very possessive and climbed in my lap and kissed me. That was a good sign to see. She has been very affectionate this afternoon - climbing in my lap, running for hugs. We went for a walk around the island and I did a little shopping. I got Hannah a couple silk dresses and a couple pairs of shoes. She loves clothes. Her eyes light up everytime I pull something out to put on her. So, tonight, we had a "fashion show" with her new clothes and shoes. Her favorite pair of shoes are the famous "squeaky shoes" I bought her. They mostly have them for younger babies, but I did buy her one pair. Just one. And they were adorable today in the hotel room as she jumped and played and made them squeak. So adorable, that I think her grandparents would love to keep those special shoes at their house for her!! Just kidding, but I do promise not to let her wear them to school next year!

I gave Hannah a bath - she loves to play in the tub and wash her own hair. Then we had dinner. We had ordered a delivery order from Danny's Bagels.
It's been very rainy here the last couple days - so we've stayed close to the hotel.
But I think that's been good. Hannah and I have both needed some "down time". She's relaxed a lot and has generally seemed happy. She consistently uses the signs for "more" and "help" and she verbally says "help" very clearly as well. She's also learning "please" and "up". She's very smart and imitates everything.

Bed time tonight was much easier. She put up a little fuss, but not much. I'm hoping she sleeps through the night and gets a good rest. Tomorrow morning we are going to the zoo, if it's not raining here.
okay, I'm off to bed.
love, DeEtte

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DeEtte,
These pictures are great. She looks so happy! We will plan a play date when things get settled down. We are keepong y'all in our prayers!

Love,
Martha & Grace Anne