Monday, May 29, 2006

More About Hannah / Notes for Tara and Patricia

Pictures: bottom to top:
1. Enjoying french fries
2. Don't I look cute for adoption day?
3. Hannah and I with Jordan, our guide, outside the Civil Affairs office
4. Hannah - not to sure about the birds

Well, the rest of yesterday went well. Hannah woke up crying from her nap, but stopped quickly. We played and took a walk to a store to buy her some shoes. It was a huge department store and when we walked in, she ran for the toys. :-) She found some toy cars and her face lit up! We bought a couple. And we found a couple pair of shoes for her as well. I think she's wearing an 8 U.S. size - but the sizes here are so different. As far as clothes, the 3T I've brought seem to fit well. Some of the 2T's fit, but there's no room to grow! We stopped by McDonald's on the way home and brought some back to the hotel. This girl has had McDonald's before. She was so excited! She rides in the stroller I got her really well . . which I 'm so thankful for as she is heavy. On short walks, she is happy to walk, and she handles stairs like a pro.

We got back to the room and enjoyed the McD's. We went outside to play a little more, and then we decided to walk back to another store to get some donations for the orphanage. This involved crossing the street. TARA - don't cross the street until you've done it with your guide a few times. Then, when you try on your own - get in the middle of a group of Chinese people crossing - preferably ones with small children. Stay in the middle and you'll be fine! Were you any good at the game Frogger? That's what it's like!

Anyway, Hannah did pretty well at the store, she tried to swipe some candy in the check-out lane. On the way back to the hotel, we saw some traditional dances with drums, cymbals, and ribbons. We stopped to watch. Hannah loved it! There were a few other small children there and their mothers brought them over by us. We tried to talk and play with them a little. The mothers seemed very interested and very friendly - we didn't have a clue what they were saying though.

Bedtime was rough. We were told by the director of the orphanage that she will cry before she goes to sleep. Cry is an understatement. How about full blown temper-tantrum! But, the good news is that once I got her to sleep - she slept through the night, a solid 9 hours. Before the tantrum however, Beth and I were treated to entertainment 2-year old style. I just wish I had gotten her antics on video. Let's just say, I always said I liked the "spunky" kids. Well, I got one!

This morning, we went to complete the adoption. I answered a few questions "Do I still want to adopt her?" , etc. and signed the forms, put my fingerprint on them, and then Hannah had to put her footprint on hers. Then we were done. The director gave me her immunization record and a nice medallion as a souvenier from the city. Hannah did pretty well, but she did not like that room at all. She wandered around playing at first, but once the officials came in, she stayed close to me. She seemed very nervous and was reaching for me to take her hand to walk her out before we were through. When the officials would try to play with her, she would turn and run back to me.

She was quiet on the way back, and we went for a walk. We saw some birds, and I gave Hannah some cheerios and showed her how to throw them for the birds to eat. She tried a few times, but was much more interested in eating the cheerios herself. She had macaroni and cheese for lunch. We have not discovered ANYTHING she won't eat. The reports were right that said "She eats like an adult". :-)

She is now asleep for a nap. We had another tantrum, but not as long as last night. She was so tired, but will fight sleep as long as she can.

Hannah is attached to 3 things: the bunny I had sent her in her care package, the photo album I had sent her, and the green hair clip I put in her hair this morning. She carries all three around wherever we go. The bunny seems to be the biggest attachment item. She has showed little interest in any of the other toys we brought so far.

We are calling her Xiu Xiu for now. (It's pronounced very differently than I thought - it's like "show show"). I may try to introduce "Hannah" with it in a couple days.

This afternoon we are visiting the orphanage. I'm a little nervous about that, but after the civil affairs office this morning, I think Hannah will do okay. Tomorrow and Thursday, we sightsee.
Friday , we pick up her passport and fly to Guangzhou.

Beth has been great on this trip. Our guide is wonderful as well.
okay, now for some tips for Tara. Sorry for the personal note, but it's easier this way.

TARA - when you walk out of the hotel, if you cross the street, walk until it ends, cross again and go to your right - walk around the corner and you will come to the carrefoure. IT's like Wal-Mart.

If you come out of the hotel, walk right, turn right at the first street - that street has lots on it. On the right side is a McDonalds, and just past that a huge department store. The 7th floor is all children's things. IF you want to buy something, they will fill out a ticket. You take all your tickets to the cashier and pay and get a reciept. Then, you take the receipt back to each department to claim your items. Very interesting.

On the other side of the street is a KFC and a McDonald's.
Also, across the street from the hotel is a public square where kids go fly kites.
The fourth floor of the hotel has a playroom - we haven't been there yet.
Just outside the hotel is a play area with a slide and swing. Hannah has loved that!
The staff here are very friendly and will do whatever you need.

PATRICIA - I gave your photos of Piper to the director. He seemed very pleased and said that her foster family missed her and would be very happy to see the the photos.

okay, that's it for now. I want to eat lunch before Hannah wakes up.
More later.
love, DeEtte
(okay, I'm having some trouble - can't tell if photos downloaded or not. If not, sorry. I'll try again another time)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Loved reading more about Hannah. But there were no photos. :( You know we are all waiting for those.:)
I hope the trip to the orphanage went well.
Can't wait to hear more.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm sooooo impressed with your mom skills! You're a natural, DeEtte. Hannah will have a wonderful life, with a mom who is just the best. I'm so glad for you that it is going well and we are anxious for you to return, and to finally meet Hannah.