Saturday, April 19, 2008

This and That..free bedding, suggestions, good news

FREE BEDDING!

You may remember we got new quilts for Hannah and Sadie's beds. I have her old set (1 comforter, 1 pilow sham, 1 bedskirt - all twin size) that I think are cute. But, I'm in decluttering mode. I'm short on closet space and don't want to store them. I don't have the time / energy at the moment to sell them and ship them. I was about to take them to thrift store, but decided to post here first. If anyone wants them, they are free! The only catch - you have to come get them at my house before I go to China. If they're not gone by next weekend, they're going to the thrift store. :-) If you work with me or go to church with me, I can bring them to school or church - otherwise, you have to come get them. Also, I have the knobs from her dressor (we've changed them to princess knobs) if you want them. They are red plaid - not seen very well in the photo - sorry. Furniture is not going and neither is doll. These go to the first person to request them (by comment, e-mail, or phone).



SUGGESTIONS NEEDED!

I love to read and if a book is good, I can finish it in one night. My general rule of thumb is not to start a book if I don't have time to finish it within a couple days..because if I like it, I will put other things off so I can finish it. I haven't read much lately because, well..I haven't had time..so I haven't started much. Except I did read one book the night Hannah was in the hospital while she slept. But, I will be in the plane for many hours. And yes, I have 2 children to entertain on the way back, but on the way there I only have one, who will watch movies and draw some, and will sleep some. (hopefully a lot..but I can't promise that). So, I'm looking for book suggestions to take with me. I want to take 2 books. At least one of them I want to be a fiction book "just for fun". The other can be fiction, devotional, whatever... So, what are you favorite books?? Leave a comment and let me know.

Good News!

I got word today that I received a small grant from Gift of Adoption fund! God continues to be faithful in providing for these fees and while I'm not there yet (travel is on my credit card for now..), I'm getting closer literally day by day. I admit to getting a bit anxious at times as to *how* He's going to come through on this, but you know..that's not my job to figure out how. I know I've done all I can do, and as it stands right now, I'm getting on a plane to China in 10 days. If I have to figure out a portion of the travel costs when I get back, then that's okay. And truly, I can cover the majority of it now, but have chosen not to so that I don't have to worry about being short on my other expenses. I found out early this week that my in-china fees rose by $2000 effective now. So, that kind of stunk to be honest...but I have known it was a possibility for a while. But, between the grant I got today and several gifts this week..that has taken care of the increase. So, today, I'm giving thanks for all that God has provided both through this grant and even more so through the support of others. When I look at all God has done, I stand amazed. This song that we sing in my church sometimes has been running through my head the last few days..or really just a couple lines of it. "Your love is amazing, steady and unchanging, your love is a mountain, firm beneath my feet". I mean really...there is no way I should be able to complete this adoption right now if it was all looked at in human terms. I was in a discussion lately about how we wanted to know God's plans clearly. I think for me, that translates into I want to know God's plans in advance. But, you know, if I'd have known His plans "in advance" for me personally, I wouldn't have believed it! If God would have sent me an e-mail three years ago that said "so, DeEtte - I want you to complete 2 international adoptions in less than 2.5 years start to finish and yes, I do realize you are a public school teacher...and oh yeah - right after the first one, new rules are going to come out that will make you think you're prevented from adopting again..but don't worry. you'll have to start the process pretty immediately (6 months after being home) and all involved (including our goverment) will have to work on a tight timeline but it'll get done and you'll submit your paperwork just 10 days before you would no longer be eligible...and once again I'll draw your attention to the child meant for you, but be ready - it'll be earlier than you're planning ..and once again, you won't have the money, but don't worry - it'll come..although at the last minute so you'll have to trust me the WHOLE time, but you will fly to China and I will unite you with your second daughter and your first daughter who SO wasn't ready to be a big sister when you started will mature and will become ready JUST IN TIME" - y'all - I would have so thought I was crazy! Good thing God didn't say all that then. But, that scenario is exactly what He has done and IS doing at this very moment! WOW!!

Anyway, enough of the ramblings. I guess I've been so busy and pre-occupied with so many details of life lately and this weekend I got a bit of a "breather" and a chance to reflect and really see the big picture of what God has done and is doing. And, I'm so amazed. What an incredible God we serve!

5 comments:

Sherri said...

I always have a hard time parting with those bedding sets, too!

I love the way you laid out what God would have said to you if He had told you His plans in advance. You never could have imagined that on your own, could you? I'm praying that the finances work out for you..but I also love that you are comfortable to let everything happen without worrying.

wow. 10 days away! I can't wait to see that sweet baby in your arms.

As for books, I have several series that I read that are hysterical. I have a bag of books that I can send to you if you give me your address.

1. Anne George--She was from Birmingham. Wrote funny books with titles like "Murder Boogies With Elvis" "Murder on a Bad Hair Day" . The series is about 2 sisters who are very different. Funny.

2. Tamar Myers--She has 2 series. One is about a lady who owns an antique shop. Those titles are "Monet Talks" "Cane Mutiny" "The Ming and I" etc. The other series is about a Mennonite lady who runs a bed and breakfast in Pennsylvania. Those books are "Play it again Spam" "just Plain Pickled to Death" and so on.

3. Jill Churchill--her series is about 2 best friends who always find themselves solving murders. Her titles are "War and Peas" "Silence of the Hams" and so on.

I can read these books very quickly, and often find myself laughing out loud when I'm reading them.

Sherri

The Ferrill's said...

DeEtte I love that song you mentioned! Our God IS amazing! It is so neat to look back and see His marvelous ways...
I'm praying for you, Hannah and Sadie! I know that God is preparing each of you for this trip/transition/fun! And if He has all these details worked out so perfectly, He certainly will provide just what you need when you need it! Your attitude is right on! ;)
Love you,
Laine

Lisa said...

I love your spirit and attitude! I can't wait to follow your journey to China and back. We can't wait to meet and play with Sadie.

Greg and Steph said...

Hey DeEtte!
HG was thrilled that Hannah was at church tonight!!! She followed her around everywhere Hannah went! I hope Hannah did not mind.
I am praying for y'all! I know you are thrilled and overwhelmed! Let me know if I can help you in any way! Do you need someone to pick up your mail or anything? Just let me know!
Steph

Journey to Lilly! said...

Awww I have always had a hard time getting rid of the kids outgrown bedding sets too!! Well you will be blessed for blessings someone!!

God is doing such awesome things in your life right now!! I can't wait to that precious baby with you!

If you want a real grabber book....read "The Beach House" by James Patterson!! You will not put it down until you hit land in China!!!

We are praying for you & your sweet family!

lv & blessings,
Kim
Kim