Monday, March 17, 2008

Kairos: God's Special Time AND upcoming surgery

Wow! What can I say? The word "Kairos" is greek and means God's special time. And once again, our Kairos weekend at the prison was exactly that. It was an amazing weekend that can't quite be put into words. Thank you for your prayers, and cookies, and donations, and letters. The response I received was incredible. I even had people I didn't know even read the blog coming up to me with checks and cookies! Please know that your gifts and prayers truly made a difference. I know they made a difference for the 36 women God sent us for the retreat. My prayer and hope is that long term it makes a difference for the other hundreds of women there who didn't have the opportunity to participate. It's kind of cool that on Thursday afternoon we ask the women why they wanted to come to Kairos. We got some of the standard answers "I heard about the food", "People said I had to experience it" and the one they thought we wanted to hear "I want to be closer to God". But my favorite answer was the people who said things like "My friend came to Kairos last time and I wanted the change of heart she got". That's one of our goals, that the women we meet with with become positive leaders in the prison. Another goal of our ministry is that the women will form Christian community inside the prison. It was neat to watch the dynamics unfol where on Thursday and Friday, they looked to us, the team from outside the prison, for everything. And then by Saturday, they started looking towards one another, comforting one another when someone cried, encouraging one another, etc. I'd appreciate your prayers for the women still. They returned yesterday to their regular environment of life in classes, work, on the yard, in the dining hall, etc. And while I don't know exactly what they face and can't completely understand, I've been in there long enough to know it's a harsh environment they return to. Trust is someting not given easily by any of us, but it's almost unheard of in that type of enviornment. We spent all weekend encouraging them to trust God, but also to be vulnerable enough to trust one another and form community. They left with the resolve to try..but I know it's being put to the test BIG TIME this week. But I also know it's not an impossible task...with God's grace, Christian community inside the prison can happen. I've seen it happen.

As far as Hannah, she did great with my parents this weekend. She had a great time playing, shopping, building a bird house, flying a kite, and more. She slept well and only cried when she woke up from her nap in the car as my mom was bringing her home. She was happy to go to grandma's house and happy to come home. What more can I ask?

So, now we switch gears and prepare for surgery Wed. We appreciate your prayers. Hannah has a cold now, so I'm praying that does not affect the surgery. I'm going to have to call her surgeon tomorrow and update him on her. We will be in the hospital 1 night.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow, DeEtte. It sounds amazing.

I'm glad Hannah did okay with your parents, although there really wasn't any doubt, was there? She's a lucky little girl.

Have a great day!

Sherri

The Ferrill's said...

Oh DeEtte I've been waiting on this update! What a wonderful experience you had this weekend...I will continue to pray for those ladies. I'm sure this week is when the rubber hits the road for many of them as they put their faith in action.
We are praying for Hannah and the surgery Wednesday! Be sure to let us all know how she does!
Love,
Laine

The Ferrill's said...

P.S. I meant to add that while we were at the store today I found a few things to take to the hospital when Quan goes in...a Dora magic coloring pad...any suggestions for some sitting down calm play things? What are you bringing for Hannah?
Too bad Hannah and Quan couldn't be on the same day...we could hang out! ;)

Pandamonium Mom said...

Laine,
Actually, Hannah loves Curious George so I got her a new curious geoge movie - she doesn't know about it yet. She also likes drawing just with a pen and regular paper..and books (those seek and find picture kind of books)..and she has a leapster she enjoys. Play-doh maybe..but honestly, she's such an ACTIVE girl, that I'm afraid nothing will keep her down long. Last time we were in the hospital we spent the 2nd day walking up and down all the floors of the hospital because she got stir-crazy. I've actually thought about taking paint - just the little watercolors. hmm..stickers, scissors and paper..we won't take all that, just some ideas. I kind of think the movie, leapster, and pen and paper are going to be our best bet..oh and pain medicine that makes her sleepy!! ha! Yeah - it would be good if their surgeries were the same day! we'll have to plan it better next time - will Quan have to have the bone graft in a few years too?

The Ferrill's said...

yep, maybe we can coordinate their bone grafts together! Like it's going to be a party or something...OUCH!
great ideas, thank you for sharing...we're praying for Miss Hannah!

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say thanks again for serving the inmates on kairos, DE COLORES!