Sunday, December 23, 2007

It was going to happen sooner or later!


You know, there are just some rites of passages that kids go through. They learn to walk, they learn to talk, they learn to ride a bike, they cut their hair. Yep..that's right. Hannah cut her hair today. I really did know it was going to happen eventually. Mother's instict? maybe. Or maybe it is just that as a preschool teacher, I've seen it happen to so many others. It's usually before some big event..picture day usually. Hannah's was 2 days before Christmas. It's really not bad at all. I had her hair up today and she cut just the very front "wisps" while she was supposed to be taking a nap this afternoon. I found the hair in the floor and asked her what happened. Of course, I knew exactly what happened. The funny thing is that she was more upset than I was. As soon as I said "what happened?"..and held up the hair, she teared up and started to walk out of the room. I told her to come back and she said "I go sit in time-out". I told her no, I wanted to talk to her. I managed to tell her she couldn't cut her hair and she couldn't have scissors in her room either (which she wasn't supposed to have in there in the first place). So I removed the scissors. And then I let it drop. No lecture, no time out. Because I'm a sweet, kind, sensitive mother? No, actually because I couldn't fuss at her. I was trying too hard not to laugh. One more milestone completed in her life. :-)




I took this bottom picture to convince myself it's really not noticeable when you're not using the zoom lens on the camera. And she's actually not asleep..just pretending to be. Oh, and she does own a bed. But she got this new sleeping bag/air mattress from nana and granddaddy tonight for Christmas. So she really wanted to try it out. :-)




On a different note, THANK YOU for your sweet comments on the blog and your supportive e-mails these last few days. Your encouragement, support, and prayers make a difference! Here's one more picture of sweet Sadie.




Merry Christmas!!


4 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Welcome to the "my child cut her own hair" club! Your initiation is over and you now have all the rights of a full-fledged member, which include finding great hiding places for the scissors!
I'm glad you weren't hard on that sweet baby! After all, she knew she had done wrong and was putting herself in time out! What a doll!
DeEtte, it seems like yesterday I was reading your Christmas post about your decision to adopt again. And now look at sweet Sadie! God is amazing!
Merry Christmas to you, too!
Love,
Laine

Lisa said...

Yep, we have a hair cutting story too. They all do it sooner or later. Ana Claire cut a gap out of her bangs similar to that and out of the side of her hair. Thank goodness hair grows back. ;)
Ana Claire has one of those blow up beds. She sleeps in it every once in a while.
I can't wait to follow your journey back to China to bring home your precious Sadie. Do you think I could fit in your suitcase? I would love to go back.
If we can do anything to help you as you prepare to travel please let me know.
Sory I didn't get back with you about going to the park the other day. Clay had wrestling. Maybe we can play over the break.
Merry Christmas!
Lisa and Ana Claire

Sonya said...

OH you are better than!!! I am always telling Katie Lin we ONLY cut paper and I am just waiting for the day!
So many of our friends kidos have done it!!!!

She is still sooooooooo CUTE!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Sonya

Sherri said...

DeEtte

Olivia cut her hair on Christmas Eve 2 years ago! I was hugging her in the morning, and these clumps of hair were falling out! I looked on her pillow, and there were her bangs....and the scissors.

Hannah is just as precious as she can be. Merry Christmas!

Sherri