Monday, October 01, 2007

Torchbearer for the Olympics!!

No, neither Hannah nor I are going to run in the Olympics. Well, I'm never going to run in the Olympics...Hannah, well one day maybe. But, there is a wonderful person in China named Jenny Bowen. She wants to. Jenny is from the U.S. and she's a volunteer with a great organization called "Half the Sky". Half the Sky works with orphanages to set up wonderful infant nuture programs, preschool programs, and programs for older children. Jenny wants to be a torchbearer and if she's selected (by internet vote), she will run with 8 children from 8 different orphanages across China. How neat of an experience would that be for those kids?? So, please go to this site:
http://pub1.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/torch/members.shtml?mid=212
Once there, vote for Jenny Bowen. She's currently in the lead, which I think is awesome! But, I'd love to see lots of people vote and keep her in the lead.

And for all my Wuhan-family buddies, you may or may not know that this year, Half the Sky is beginning their great programs in Wuhan. In fact, the idea for Jenny to run came from a volunteer working on setting up the Wuhan program. Who knows? Maybe one of the kids from there will get chosen to run and carry the torch.

2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

That is really cool, DeEtte! I saw it earlier and I need to look for an update on the voting.
Isn't that so exciting about Half the Sky beginning in Wuhan? It is already a great orphanage, and now it will be even better!
Blessings,
Laine
P.S. Hannah's prayer for Quan just made me cry! I read it to my older children and they thought it was so sweet!
Can't wait to see yall again!

Journey to Lilly! said...

Hey DeEtte!! I am going to go & put in my vote!! Thanks for sharing this with us! Half the Sky is an awesome program!!
Blessings,
Kim