Thursday, July 13, 2006

What a Week


















PHOTOS:
1. Every builder needs appropriate safety gear such as a lifevest.
2. Painting Fun!
3. Mom says the painting has to stay outside until it's dry. Okay, I'll wait and watch it.
4. What do you mean playing in flour is not a "typical summertime activity"??

It's been a fun, although bit crazy, week here in our home. We started the week off Monday with a doctor's appointment. It was our follow-up visit to the adoption clinic and it went very well. They all said Hannah was doing great. The biggest concern is her speech and that's something that will be addressed after her surgery. She is picking up sign language so fast now though. I'm going to have to start looking signs up - we've about exhausted the ones I know! Yesterday I taught her the sign for "excuse me" because she was a little gassy and kept burping. Well, my 2 year old has now learned to burp on purpose because she likes using that sign!

Tuesday we visited my school to attempt to get a little work done. Well, I didn't really get anything done, but Hannah and I enjoyed playing there. That afternoon, I decided to let her play in the sandbox. The only problem is - we don't own a sandbox. So, I decided that little pool we had would make a great sandbox. Another problem - we don't have any sand. So, I did what anyone would have done (right!), I used flour instead. I know it sounds crazy, but Hannah had a blast playing with the sifter in the flour. And, since I had her wear her swimsuit and the big pool was right there - all I had to do to clean her up was dip her in the water!

Wednesday, we met Beth (who went to China with us) for lunch at the Galleria and Hannah rode the carrosel. She loved that. Oh - and the escalator and elevator too! That afternoon, we painted. Maybe it's the preschool teacher in me, but I was all about doing messy things this week. That's not my normal, everyday activities just so you know. Anyway, Hannah had a great time painting. The masterpiece is now hanging in the kitchen.

Thursday (today) we had Hannah's pediatrician appointment. It went well, but they gave my poor baby 4 shots and pricked her finger, so she wasn't too happy about it. She pointed out her purple band-aids to anyone who would pay attention for the rest of the day. She was a little pitiful as everytime she tried to walk up or down the stairs at home, she would touch her legs (she got 2 shots in each leg) and then hold her arms for me to pick her up and carry her (which I did of course!). But, those legs must have been better this evening because she ran and played hard at the park. We met Ana Claire and Aimee there - 2 girls close in age to Hannah who were also adopted from China. The girls had a great time, and I enjoyed getting to meet Lisa and Teri (their mothers) and talk to them for a while. Lisa and I have followed each other's blogs for a while - so it was great to finally meet.

Also, for those of you who may not keep up with the latest fashions, let me fill you in. Dora panties and Barbie lifevests. And that syle is versatile enough to be worn either barefoot or with yellow sandles. That's been the clothing option of choice for Hannah this week. Remember - you saw it here first!!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi DeEtte,
You are a very brave Mommy! Hannah is a very lucky girl getting to do all of those creative, but very messy crafts! I have let Ana Claire paint a few times.
I love the flour idea. I may have to try that outside.
We had a great time playing and talking this evening. We look forward to the next time.
Lisa and Ana Claire

Sonya said...

HOW FUN!!! Once again you should win Mom of the Year! FLOUR??? That is a hoot! You guys (Lisa and Terri) are so blessed to have each other so close! Hope to see you all on Zoo Day!

Sonya

drew and lori said...

Oh DeEtte- I LOVE the activities you do with Hannah. We did flour with Kalie when she was little and it was a hit! she is a DOLL!

Denna said...

Now that is a idea. You are really brave. Cute pictures.
Denna