Monday, June 18, 2007

Doctors and Parties

What a crazy week it's been. Tuesday, we visited Hannah's pediatrician for her yearly check-up. No shots required at this visit, so it was a happy visit! (next summer though...) She is doing great, and my has she grown. She has grown 4 inches in the past year! Anyway, he was pleased with her development and everything looked great. He told us that he'd see us in a year.

BUT, he got to see us quicker than he thought. We were back in his office 2 days later. Hannah fell playing on the swingset behind our church. It didn't look like a particularly hard fall, but she hit her chin on the ground, and oh - it was a mess. My church is just down the road from Hannah's doctor, so I called and they said come on by. He sent us on to Children's where she got a few stitches under her chin. They numbed it very well so it didn't hurt, but she was scared and mad! Very mad! One of the doctor's said "we got a fighter here!". Yeah, I told him she was going to one day channel that fighting spirit into fighting for world peace or some other noble goal. She was being so uncooperative (which is not like her...for most medical stuff she may cry, but she cooperates), that I stopped them fearing that maybe the numbing cream had not worked. I asked her "does it hurt or are you just mad". She yelled "I JUST MAD!". When it was over and she was calm and quiet, I asked her if she was better. She said "no, I still mad". I figured she had that right. The funny part is that in an attempt to distract her, one doctor asked her how old she was. Without missing a beat and with clenched teeth, she answered "I 28 years old!" She is fine now. The cut is healing well and the stitches should be dissolved in a couple more days. (Whoever invented dissolvable stitches has my deep grattitude!!!) But, her chin still looks pretty banged up and bruised.

On a much better note, Saturday we went to a party at Pump it Up held by the International Adoption Clinic at UAB. They are a wonderful (and not just because they throw fun parties)! Seriously though, they provide great services to adopting families and are wonderful people. Hannah hit the door running and never stopped! She loved every minute, well until it was time to leave anyway. One of the highlights for me was that I got to *finally* meet Lily Grace Green. I met her parents, Connie and Jerry, and her brother Austin a couple times before either of us traveled to China. They adopted Lily Grace just a couple months after I adopted Hannah. I've followed their blog, but this was the first time I had met Lily Grace or that Connie had met Hannah. And Lily Grace is absolutely as precious in person as she was in all the pictures I'd seen!. We didn't get to spend a lot of time together, because, well, this was Pump it Up. The girls had running and jumping and climbing and sliding to do. In 10 different directions. But, it was still great to see them. (And yes, Connie and Jerry, I got the photo from your blog since I was being a bad blogger mom and forgot my camera.)




Hannah is in the front row in the blue. Lily Grace is also in the front row in pink with the pink bow.






7 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

I'm glad Hannah's chin is better! Looks like yall have been having lots of jumping fun!
Laine

Hope for Lucy said...

Im so glad I got to see you and beautiful Hannah. I will mail you all the pictures once Jerry files them for me. I cant wait to see you guys again next month.
Love you!

Connie

Sonya said...

Poor Baby! Hope she is ALL better soon!

Sonya

Karen said...

Sorry to hear about the chin, however I got a BIG chuckle out of the I MAD part! LOL. Boy o boy, do I know that attitude!hehe.
And 4"?? Wow! Q has grown a lot too but I don't think 4". Hers goes the other way. She's got a belly and a set of thighs! I still need to make her appt. We're going to Boston/Harvard in July to start the ear.
Hugs to guys!
KL and QL

Lisa said...

Glad Hannah's chin is better. I t looked good the other night. AC has talked about Hannah since Thursday night. We have to get them together. I am minus one boy this week. What do you have going on?

Journey to Lilly! said...

OHhhhh poor Hannah! What a terrible experience for her!! But the story is just tooo funny!! Where did she come up with her age?? hehe! Professional or not if I had been her doctor I would have had to have a good laugh right there in the middle of stitching!!
lv,
Kim

Pandamonium Mom said...

I don't know where Hannah got the age...but she stuck with it for almost 2 weeks and told EVERYONE she was 28. Now, the last couple days she has been saying 58!