Monday, April 20, 2009

The Princess Who Talked Mean!

A story about Hannah - this doesn't represent her "best" side, but I have to admit it's funny. Her teacher came to me this afternoon to show me something Hannah had drawn and written at school. She had finished her work early and turned it over on the back to do her own thing, something her teacher encourages. She drew a girl with a beautiful flowing dress (big dress - think prom dress!). She drew speech bubbles coming out of the girl's mouth with these words:

"I hat yoou" (I hate you)
"Yoou meG" (You mean - she actually says it with a slight g sound)
"You Bose" (You Bossy)
"Cit" (Quit)

Good writer, huh? I'm proud of her emerging writing skills. Her choice of words, however...She's not allowed to use the word "hate", and we've been talking a lot about "nice words" lately. Oh, the things they learn as they get older!! ughh. Anyway, in a different color marker, she had another speech bubble with the words "I soRe" (I sorry).

So, I was embarrassed. Her teacher wasn't showing it to me for that reason, she thought it was funny. And it was... I guess at least she's getting her frustrations out on paper by saying the things there I won't let her say out loud. Maybe I should buy her a journal!!

So tonight, as I was going over her work in her folder, I pulled out this same paper. I complimented Hannah on the work part on the front. Then turned it over and looked at the back again. This was our conversation.

Me: Tell me about this
Hannah: That girl said "You mean! you bossy! I hate you! QUIT!"
Me: Why did she say those ugly things?
Hannah: Because she's mean!
Me: Who is this girl?
Hannah: A princess.
Me: Who is she saying those mean things to?
Hannah: Her sister..uh..her older sister.
Me: What does this say? (pointing to the one in different color)
Hannah: She said "I sorry"
Me: Why did she say that?
Hannah: Because she was mean!
Me: That's a beautiful dress she has on. Is she going somewhere special?
Hannah: She's going to a ball..you know..a ball where people dance. She's going to a dance.
Me: That seems special. What do you think her mommy is going to say when she finds out she's been saying all these things that are not nice? Do you think her mommy will still let her go to the ball? Will she be in time-out?
Hannah: Her mommy will still take her to the ball. Because her mommy will FORGIVE (said loudly) her. She will just FORGIVE her and still take her to the ball.

(insert quick prayer by me for HELP!)

Me: Well, It's a good thing I'm not this princess' mommy. Because I would forgive her and still love her, but I sure wouldn't let her go to a ball. Because balls are special and only for princesses who know how to use kind words. She'd have to stay home since she doesn't know how to do that. Good thing I'm *your* mommy instead of hers. Because I'm sure *YOU* know how to talk nice and kind like a real princess!

Hannah: yeah!

SO..what do I do with THAT? :-)
The girl definately keeps me on my toes!!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Please save that paper forever!

Speech bubbles? Olivia doesn't even know about them. She's a pretty good speller, too. So that's amazing.

You handled it well.

We are in the phase of not saying "bathroom words". Mia is into bathroom words. Yesterday Olivia said "pizza" and Mia started screaming because Olivia was saying a bathroom word!

Karen said...

oh girl,this is so funny, and I am right there with ya!!hehehe. Q keeps me on my toes! Today my girly told me she has hair on her legs and needs to shave! After I explained it's not time yet, now that's another thing I need to add to my list to watch for, or she'll have it done!. Meanwhile she told me I could start calling her Quinn! ok, we've also changed our name today. Tomorrow it will be 60 other things to keep me on my toes! heehe. Love every min. Your kids are adorable!
hugs,
KL and Q