Monday, April 16, 2007

Why Oh Why?

One of the really fascinating things for me is to watch Hannah's language literally explode! It seems questions have been one of her harder skills in this area, and as a preschool teacher myself, I'm not suprised. But it's been so fun (though sometimes a little tiring too!) to watch her learn to ask and answer questions.

Early on, Hannah would get confused if asked a question that required a response other than yes or no. She slowly started to get the hang of it, but she would often get stuck. For example, early in the school year, her teacher asked her what kind of pet she had. She went around the circle asking all the kids. Well, I don't think Hannah truly understood the question, but did figure out that everyone was saying an animal. So, when it was her turn, she answered "cat". (we don't have a cat, or any pet). It's kind of a joke now that in similar type conversations Hannah has basically answered questions to tell her teachers that she has a cat, a bird, and a pool table (no - we don't have that either!). But, she slowly has been learning to understand the meaning of questions and answer them. However, sometimes, like anyone - she truly doesn't know the answer. But, Hannah didn't know how to say that. I took her to school one day and she came home with a small scratch on her face. Her teachers noticed it mid-morning. They think it happened when she was playing with another little boy with blocks. Accidental, I'm sure. Hannah never cried and told on him - and she typically would have. So, I figure they were playing happily together and it was just one of those kid things and she probably didn't even realize it left a scratch. But, when her teachers asked her who scratched her, she said "mommy". When we got home, I asked her who scratched her and she said "mommy". I replied that no, I didn't and asked her again. She said her teachers' name. I'm sure it wasn't her teacher. I asked one more time and she named a very close friend of ours that we hadn't seen in 3 weeks! I really don't think she was trying to make things up as much as she just didn't know what happened and she didn't know how to say that. So, I told her it's okay to say "I don't know". If someone asks you something and you don't know the answer - don't make up one. Just say "I don't know". Well..then she went through a phase where the answer to EVERY question was "I don't know". Even questions I KNEW she knew the answer. Hannah, what are you eating? (french fries - her favorite). Her answer, "um - I don't know". But now, she's finally starting to separate them - answer the questions she knows and say "I don't know" when she doesn't.

For a long time, the only question she asked was "what's that?". But now she asks lots of "where" questions, mainly "mommy, where are you?" (usually when I'm in the bathroom! ha!)
Her all-time favorite question at the moment is "What are you doing?". It's usually asked when it's very obvious what I'm doing!
What are you doing? eating
What are you doing? driving
What are you doing? trying to sleep and so should you!

And then, there's the famous "why?" question. I know it's normal. I know asking questions is how you learn. I know that she's figuring out her world. And I know it's total payback for the million "why" questions I asked my parents over the years!! This question is often paired with the "what are you doing?" one. Such as "what are you doing?". "I'm eating". "Why you eating?"
And when she's really on a roll, I can get all three questions or more in one conversation. Here's one we had today.

Hannah: Mommy, where are you?
me: I'm in the bathroom!
Hannah: What are you doing in bathroom?
me: using the bathroom!
Hannah: You pee pee?
me: yes
Hannah: Why you pee pee?
me: because I just have to
Hannah: Hannah help you?
me: no thanks, I can do it by myself!
Hannah: okay mommy. Wipe and flush mommy. Wash your hands, okay mommy?

And then, as moments later I emerge from the bathroom, I am greeted by Hannah smiling with two thumbs up and a "good job mommy!"

If I had multitudes and multitudes of time on my hand - I'd love to do some research on how children adopted internationally aquire language and compare it to children born in the US and how they aquire language. But, since I don't have multitudes and multitudes of time on my hand, I'll just enjoy watching the miracle unfold in front of me. Actually, that's more fun anyway!!

Enjoy the picture - it's an old one that never got posted. It has nothing to do with this post - but I just know how you folks like to see pictures when you check in. :-)







2 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Oh THIS is precious! Wait until your 2nd daughter arrives and you have the questions times TWO! What a blessing Hannah is! I love to see how she has progressed, and your details are so helpful to me as I think about Kimmie and Quan's language development! Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us, DeEtte! You have a little encourager in your Hannah..."Good job, Mommy!" You're a great Mommy, I can tell!
Blessings,
Laine

Lisa said...

This must also be a three year old thing. AC is full of questions and makes up some far out answers. Each day her ability to carry on a conversation increases. It is incredible to see her little wheels turning. Hannah is precious as always!
Lisa